Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Seven Wonders of My Life

One:  I'm pretty sure that Wylie has started teething.  The drooling is out of control, and he seems to be running a very mild fever.  His cheeks are bright red and he's very restless.  Plus, I thought that he was going to crack through my thumb joint while gnawing on it on the plane ride home from FL.  Poor little guy.  I gave him a little Tylenol yesterday because he hadn't had a good nap and he finally slept for like 3 hours.  Same story today.  Plus, I smoothed my finger around his bottom gum to check it out and it feels like that telltall bump has started to cut through.  Poor baby.

Two: The camera charger arrived and it works!  So, you all can expect more pictures!

Three: Florida was very nice.  We had awesome weather on Sunday and we actually spent some time down by the pool.  I got a little bit of color even!  Wylie hung out in his stroller and Christina and I actually went in the hottub.  It was very nice.  But the real reason for our little trip was to visit my grandmother.  I don't remember if I actually wrote about it, but she broke her hip at the beginning of February and had to have a partial hip replacement.  The ironic thing is that she broke her hip after leaving her pre-op appointment for her glaucoma surgery.  So the glaucoma surgery was postponed.  The partial hip replacement went well and she spent some time in a rehab hospital but is now home.  She has excellent mobility and is able to walk well through their trailer without the use of a walking aid.  She said the only time she uses a walking aid is outside because of the uneven ground surface.  The visiting physical therapist has her outside and walking up and down their block with him and he is just amazed at how well she is doing.  She is able to go up and down their (three) stairs into the trailer without issue and can get in and out of the car easily as well.  She needs help in the bathroom as they don't have a raised toilet seat, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a pretty moot point, in comparison!  However, from the hip surgery, she does have a UTI.  She still very confused, and I understand that this is a symptom of a UTI in older adults.  I don't think it's terribly serious, as she is aware that she is confused.  There also doesn't seem to be any real problem with her memory.  She also knew who Christy, uncle Larry, Wylie and I were, so it's not like the confusion is real effusive, but it is disconcerting to hear that she doesn't know where the bathroom is in their one-bedroom trailer.  Her arm strength is also terrible; it was kind of heartbreaking to hear her say that she really wanted to hold Wylie but didn't trust her strength.  So my uncle Larry, cousin Christy, grandpa, and I all took turns holding him by her so she could feel like she was holding him without the worry of having to control his squirming.  But we continue to keep our hopes up.

Four: We are currently hoping to be able to go back and visit Chad's parents before he has to leave at the end of March.  We were checking out airfare prices today and it looks like it might be about $600 round-trip.  But everything is still up in the air, so who knows.

Five: Chad's dad is currently undergoing testing to determine the cause of a seizure he had while snowmobiling with some friends and spreading his father's ashes.  The doctor thinks it might be neurological instead of diabetic, so Chad has been pretty worried about that.  The tests were to have been done this past weekend, so we're still awaiting results.  The doctor did caution that sometimes they aren't able to determine the cause, but still, that's a scary thing.  We've talked about it, and Chad and I are pretty confident that the doctor is going to tell him it's time to take better care of himself.  Which is the truth.

Six: In Florida, we hit the flea market and I scored an awesome pair of "designer" sunglasses (knockoff Coco Chanel) and a set of queen-sized sheets with an extra set of pillow cases for $20.  The big part of that deal?  They're 1200 threadcount!!!  Super soft.  They're in the wash right now and I can hardly wait to slip between the sheets!

Seven: I don't know if I've had some kind of deficiency or what, but I have totally been craving comfort food lately.  Hence, I've been making meatloaf with brown gravy, pierogi, soups, and beef stew.  I've also been eating a ton of cornbread (from the Safeway - it's amazing.  You must try it!).  And Mom, if you're reading this, I know you never made those foods, or if you did, I didn't like them, but they're what I'm craving.  And they are SOOOO GOOD!!  (And if you want the recipes, aside from the peirogi which is store-bought, you can get them in the cookbook my cousins are selling in order to raise money to walk in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day this fall in Detroit, MI.  If you're interested, email my cousin at CKleymeer AT gmail.com (formatted to avoid auto spammers) to pre-order ASAP because the orders are due by this weekend....)

No comments:

Post a Comment