Thursday, March 4, 2010

4 Month Well Baby Check-up

Well, we had the 4-month well baby visit today and it went really well. Other than the fact that the doctor was running behind. But as far as I'm concerned, if you're not the first two appointments of the day, the doctor is pretty much always running behind. That's what comes from trying to squeeze too many patients into too few doctors' schedules. Okay, that's enough of the soapbox.

Anyway, they weighed and measured Wylie (after everyone exclaiming what a Big Boy he is!), and then we waited for the doctor. He weighs 15 lbs 1.5 ounces, is 25 1/4 inches long, and has a 15 inch head. So that means he's in the 65th percentile for height and weight and the 75th for head size (that means that he is bigger in height and weight than 65 average babies his age and his head is bigger and 75 average babies his age). What that means is he's healthy! Yay!

He really didn't like being poked and prodded today, but really, that's the doctor's fault - she was running late so she ran into his naptime; he was VERY cranky. Last time, he just went along with her testing of his limbs and reflexes and laughed the whole time. But then came the really awful part - the shots. Sigh. I hate hearing him cry!! But at least he stops crying pretty much as soon as I pick him up right after they're finished. Some of the other infants cry and cry and cry afterwards. My mom said that I did pretty much the same thing - I would cry as they were giving me the shots and then as soon as she'd pick me up, I was over it. So we have to go back in 8 weeks for his 6 month check-up.



She also checked in his mouth and commented, "Man, he's really working on cutting those two bottom teeth!"  You're telling me!  I thought he was going to crack my knuckle like a walnut chewing on it!

I also got the schedule for when to start giving him which foods, based on when he shows interest. Some people start giving food as soon as the little one reaches 4 months - I don't prescribe to that school. I'll start giving him food as soon as he starts showing an interest in it (aka when he starts looking at us longingly as we eat big people food in front of him). The doc also gave me a cream for his super-dry skin - Johnson's baby lotion and baby oil hasn't taken care of it so far, so she busted out the VaniCream. We'll give it a try and see how we like it. Okay - I think that's about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment